Sunday, February 28, 2010

Down in Mississippi

The weekend with Megan and Erin in Starkville was absolutely wonderful.  It was so great just to sit around and catch up, just like no time had passed at all since the last time we have seen each other.  I feel very lucky to have friends like these, that it seems no matter how long we go without seeing each other, we can pick up right where we left off.  While we did spend most of our time at my place or in restaurants just talking and laughing, we did get out and see a few sights around Starkville.  One of the places we went that I honestly knew nothing about before last weekend was the Old Waverly Mansion.  
Waverly was a true plantation, 50,000 acres of land where they grew just about everything, but mostly cotton, which they then shipped down the river to Mobile and New Orleans, and then on to England.  The freestanding staircases wrap around the inside up four stories to the top, where the owner used to sit at his desk and survey the land.  The plantation was host to grand parties, and thousands of people who worked and visited.  The family that owns it now purchased it after it had been abandoned and left unattended for over 50 years.  They have restored it wonderfully, although they say that during those 50 years, there was very little vandalism (only declarations of love written on the walls, no profanity), and some of the original mirrors and window valances were still in place, and none of the windows or interior glass was broken.  The place was absolutely beautiful, and I can't wait to go back in the spring when the gardens are in full bloom...
The magnolia in the front is apparently the largest in the state...
We went to the Veranda, Harvey's, Mexico Tipico, and of course Rick's to see Randy Houser on Friday night.  I had to take the girls to all of our favorite spots (we didn't make it to Dave's Dark Horse though, unfortunately).  I do plan to show ya'll around to all of those places on the blog at some point, however I of course didn't do an amazing job of taking pictures this time around (I'm working on it)...but here are a few that we snapped along the way...
While megan and Erin were here, Grady and I happened to have reached the One Year mark!  Our first date was one year ago on February 19th, so he joined us for dinner on Friday at our favorite restaurant, Anthony's in West Point.
I felt beyond lucky to have two of my best friends come visit me for the weekend, and beyond lucky to have had the best year ever with Grady.  I am so thankful!!!

1 comment:

  1. Love you, V! The pics of Waverly are great! You'll have to send a copy to us. xoxo, e

    ReplyDelete