Saturday, February 13, 2010

Going Traditional

I haven't really done any traditional design work in my short little career per se. Not because I don't like it, I like a little bit of everything, but just because it hasn't really been asked of me before. I'm always excited for a challenge though, and despite my fears about forgetting bobbly trims and intricate cabinetry details, I'm really thrilled to take it on. See, it seems that "contemporary" isn't really a dominating interiors style here in Starkville. Therefore I have made a point to start gathering images that seem a little more traditional to me so that I have a stash to refer to when need be. I will admit that the images below may definitely verge on transitional...but I have to take baby-steps.

So here are some of the shots I've collected so far - these are all kitchen shots...my OCD gets the best of me and I have to go one room at a time :).


I love the different colors and textures in this room. The stained cabinets mixed with the painted cream, the metal vent hood, and the hand-made look of the backsplash tile.

Tin ceiling tiles are one of my favorite things in the world, and are definitely on my dream home must-haves list. I like the way these are painted soft white with a high gloss finish. It still shows off the texture without being quite as obvious.

I apologize I cannot find the source for this image - I will keep digging because whoever is responsible definitely deserves credit (and I have a complex about siting my sources thanks to GPS and the incessant writing and signing of the pledge for six years, "on my honor I have neither given nor received help...". Anyway - white carrera marble slab backsplash - I honestly think I'd just sit and stare at it, it's my favorite and also on the dream home list with tin ceiling tiles. This entire space seems so fresh and blends traditional and modern elements perfectly I think. I also love the double island and ceiling detail. Oh, and the barstools.

The carrera makes another appearance here, and I love the two-toned cabinetry again. I also love the vintage feeling light fixtures instead of recessed can lights. I do appreciate the need for strong lighting in the kitchen, but this seems like a good way to approach it.

1 comment:

  1. I love the pics and commentary! So pretty and I do picture all such lovelies in your future home! Will you come re-decorate our house! And I love the GPS honor code ode! Love you!

    ReplyDelete